What is an Electronic Cigarette / E-Cig?
An electronic cigarette, also known as an e-cig is basically a liquid vaporizer. Normally they are filled with e-liquid containing nicotine which is vaporized by heating it, and the inhaled and exhaled like smoke. Nicotine-free e-cigs are very popular, and all e-cigs don’t produce tar, carbon monoxide and many of the other damaging by-products of smoking tobacco.
There are a lot of terms used with e-cigs, below is our basic e-cig glossary to help you out.
- Atomizer – The atomizer is the part of the e-cig that heats the liquid to vaporize it, made of a wick in a coil of metal wire.
- Cartomizer – A cartridge for e-liquid with a built in atomizer, often disposable.
- Cig-a-like – An e-cig that looks like a cigarette.
- Clearomizer – Like a cartomizer but normally larger and refillable.
- Coil/Dual Coil – This is the part that heats up the wick.
- Dripping – Instead of filling a tank the liquid is dripped onto the atomizer directly.
- E-Cig – Short for e-cigarette or electronic cigarette.
- E-Liquid – The liquid vaporized in an e-cig, available in various flavors and strengths.
- Juice – Another word for e-liquid.
- Mod – More advanced e-cig battery, short for modified.
- RDA – Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer.
- Tank – Another word for a clearomizer.
What is E-Liquid?
E-Liquid, often called juice, is normally made from a blend vegetable glycerine (VG) and propylene glycol (PG), nicotine and flavoring. Various strengths of nicotine are available, typically 0mg, 6mg, 8mg, 12mg, 16mg, 18mg and 24mg. There are also many flavors available, ranging from traditional tobacco and mint flavors, to more exotic fruit flavors, drinks like cola & coffee and sweet dessert-like flavors. We have even come across various cannabis flavored and CBD enriched e-liquids.
Mods & Batteries
From the basic cig-a-like you’ve probably seen in shops, to large flash light sized mods – you’ll see a lot of variety. Most users start off with something small but often find they want more of a hit, and want the battery to last a bit longer so upgrade to a larger battery or even a mod with replaceable batteries.
What’s the Best Electronic Cigarette?
There are many, many different brands of electronic cigarette on the market now. The last few years have shown a boom in the amount of types, brands and e-cig shops dedicated to selling them. The most popular style for beginners seems to be the ego twist style battery, which lets you adjust the voltage, with a basic refillable clearomizer on top. There’s a wide selection of different styles of e-cig battery and clearomizer so you can mix and match to find one to suit your personal preference, both for vaping and for style.
Are e-cigs safe?
Safe is big word, few things in this world are 100% safe. However compared to smoking cigarettes, with the cocktail of poisonous chemicals and fumes they give off, e-cigs are much safer. All that is produced from vaporizng e-liquid is water vapor. Nicotine is addictive but hasn’t been shown to be dangerous when consumed correctly (and never during pregnancy), like many other substances; and of course not all e-cigs contain nicotine.
Do you use an e-cigarette? Did it help you quit smoking cigarettes? Leave a comment below and share your experience.